"To teach and to lead others to faith is the task of every preacher and of each believer." ~ St. Thomas Aquinas
The Catechetical Ministry works on behalf of St. John the Evangelist Church to educate all in the teachings of the Catholic faith thereby enriching the lives of our children as they grow deeper in relationship with Jesus Christ.
Program goals include:
- The participating children will develop an age appropriate understanding of Catholic doctrine and the basic teachings of the Catholic faith
- We, as Catechists, serve, assist, and guide parents in providing primary religious education of their children
- Families develop close parish family bonds by encouraged involvement within parish life
- Encourage full, active, conscious and fruitful participation in worship during Sunday liturgy
- Build community in service to one another
- Foster a learning environment conducive to understanding the Catholic faith
Faith Formation of Children
Catholic children attending public schools are welcomed to participate in St. John's Faith Formation Program. Classes are scheduled as follows:
- Grades K - 7 - Sunday Morning Program from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Grades 1 - 4 - Monday Afternoon from 3:15 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.
8th Grade Summer Program
- Open to all students that have completed 7th grade level faith formation
- Commences after public school closes for summer
- Classes run for 5 consecutive days from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. and 2 Sundays from 9:30 a.m.- 12:00 p.m.
- Students must be able to return for 4 scheduled one and one-half hour classes during their eighth grade year.
- Students must be able to take the ACRE assessment during February. This course fulfills requirement for Grade 8 faith formation.
Textbooks: Grades K, RCL Benziger, Stories of God's Love
Grade 8 & all Home Study RCL Benziger Be My Disciples
Grades 1, 3, 5, 7 Pflaum Publishing Group Pflaum Gospel Weeklies
Grade 2, 4, 6 Loyola Press Finding God
Fees: Fees include textbooks, supplies and resources needed for Religious Education. Please note: No student will ever be denied Religious Education based on financial reasons.
Forms: Faith Formation K-8 Registration (New) | Confirmation Registration
Faith Formation K-8 Registration (Renewal)
Attendance in the faith formation program is a requirement for all children preparing to celebrate the sacraments of Reconciliation, First Eucharist and Confirmation.
Early Registration is prior to July 15th annually. There are two Sunday registration dates during the summer, one in July and one in August (to be determined). Parents/Guardians must register their child each year for the following school year. All new students are required to supply a copy of his/her baptismal certificate along with their registration form.
St. John the Evangelist also provides faith formation for special needs. To learn more about St. John the Evangelist Faith Formation or to register contact Mirela Tarabokija, Director of Religious Education at (201) 944-4346 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Catechists are volunteers who are interviewed and screened to discern their calling to the catechetical ministry. All catechists are formally commissioned to ministry of the word in September at a mass as they begin their ministry. All catechists share a common goal towards full certification to be increasingly effective in the classroom.
The Parish Catechetical Leader is always a presence to all catechists guiding and nurturing them in their ministry.
St. John’s Parish is continually in search of catechists and/or aides. All are welcome!
Mirela Tarabokija, Director of Religious Education
Phone: (201) 944-4346
Becoming Catholic through RCIA
". . . if you search for God honestly and sincerely, you will find Him. . . For Yahweh, your God, is a merciful God and will not desert . . .you . . . " ~ Deut. 4:29-31
The RCIA process is for people interested in inquiring about the Catholic Faith and preparing for the sacraments of initiation (Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist). It is also for Christians of other denominations who wish to become Catholic and adults who have been baptized Catholic, but have never received one or more of the following sacraments (Reconciliation, Holy Communion or Confirmation).
The RCIA process provides a period of prayer, discussion and discernment to help adults in their journey to full participation in the Catholic Church and offers support and community throughout the process.
This process is enhanced by an RCIA team. These are people who work with the RCIA coordinator in facilitating the process and providing assistance and ministry in a variety of ways (accompanying candidates as sponsors, as catechists, with hospitality, with support by presence at a session or sessions, and in many other ways).
To learn more or if you are interested in becoming a catholic through RCIA, please contact the Parish Office at (201) 947-4545.
Fr. Rich Kwiatkowski - Pastor
Phone: (201) 947-4545
Fr. Arlou Buslon - Adjunct Associate
Phone: (201) 947-4545
Mr. & Mrs. Brian and Bridget Burke
Phone: (201) 947-4545